Keeping skin firm: The 5 step processNovember 07, 2020
Why does the skin sag as we age?
There are multiple reasons why skin sags as we age. Here are the most prominent ones
Found in bones, joints and tendons, collagen is one of the most widely found and important proteins in our body. The thickest layer of our skin, the dermis, maintains its structure with the help of collagen and keeps our skin looking youthful and firm.
Weight loss and pregnancy
You may have loose skin if you have lost a lot of weight. The reason this happens is because your skin expands when your body is in the fat stage. People who are overweight for a longer period of time have to face damaged skin collagen and elastin fibres. Your skin’s ability to retract back into its place is severely affected. This also happens when one is pregnant and their skin expands on their abdomen.
Being exposed to the sun and free radicals
Years of sun exposure can lead to premature aging.
- Eating right - Eating a nutritious diet that includes lots of fruits and veggies will boost skin health will keep the skin firm and supple. A good example is pomegranate juice which contains elements that promote skin strength and elasticity. They are called selenium and anthocyanin and help reduce the toxin levels in your skin.
- Having the right vitamins - To prevent sun damage and boost skin elasticity, it’s good to up your intake of vitamins. Vitamins A,B and E protect the skin from sun damage and keep it looking healthier, retaining its vitality. In-fact, Vitamin B improves skin hydration so much that it’s the most common element in skin creams.
- Exercising Regularly - What’s the biggest advantage of exercising apart from maintaining weight? Regular exercise helps keep our skin firm by boosting blood circulation and toning our muscles, keeping the skin tighter and firmer. Common exercises like running, aerobics, squats, lunges, jumping and workouts with light weights are effective in toning the body. You can also watch videos of facial exercises to tone the muscles and skin on your face.
- Keeping yourself hydrated - This is a no brainer. One needs to drink 1-2 litres of water everyday to keep their skin hydrated. Hydrated skin glows naturally as it looks and feels tighter. This water recommendation varies with age, weight and activity level. Blocked pores in our skin lead to acne. Water flushes out toxins in our body that lead to these blocked pores.
- The right nutraceuticals - With unhealthy lifestyle, pollution and sun exposure, giving our nutrition intake a bit of extra boost has become a necessity. This leads to a requirement for custom nutraceuticals like Dayly Glow that replenish your skin’s collagen levels and lock in its moisture.